Saturday, December 19, 2009

Can We Make it a Year Between 'Opthamologist' Appointments?

Stolen from Dingle's website (www.freewebs.com/michelle_and_dinglehopper) and originally written on December 3rd:

"At our last (eye) vet appointment in May I was told that Dingle didn't need to come back for another check-up until around Christmas, unless we had problems. Luckily (and surprisingly) Dinglehopper has not had problems. The other day I decided I should call the vet and check in to see if he needed an appointment this soon. Again, luckily and surprisingly Dinglehopper has been doing awesome, eye wise. We recently switched back to Cyclosporin gel (instead of the drops we had tried when we filled the last prescription) and his eyes look amazing - no tear stains at all. No squinting, rubbing at eyes, etc.

Before I called the vet I literally had to sit there for 10 minutes trying to remember the vet's name... yes, I couldn't remember because it had been so long. We've never made it 7 months without seeing a specific vet. At first I thought "ah ha, it's Dr. Miller", but then realized no, that was the name of his knee surgeon. I finally figured it out and when I called I was told that Dingle didn't need to see him until May unless there were problems.

So, as long as nothing comes up between now and then, Dingle will only have to have yearly visits, just to renew his prescription.

I'm glad we don't have to go now, because it would be a waste of money, but at the same time I'd like to know if they could tell if there has been a vision decrease between now and last year - since it has been just over a year since Dingle's KSC/PRA diagnoses.

Well, I guess I'll just continue to hope for the best (read: be in denial over his failing eyesight) until May."

In other random news - last week a small town newspaper published an article that I wrote about why you shouldn't purchase a puppy as a Christmas gift. It talked about pet stores, puppy mills, backyard breeders (hello Kijiji), holiday dangers, etc. I also submitted an article to the Toronto Star, but never heard back from them. I sent it off to the Metro Newspapers as well, but I think it's futile. At least word got out in the rural area, which is big on puppy mills.

Meet Moo-Cow Dingle:

1 comment:

  1. Hi Michelle, (no need to post this) in response to your e-mail: I would never buy a dog or cat or any live animal really from a pet store. Some pet stores will do adoption days for local shelters which is great but any pet store that sells animals for profit is a pet store I'd never do business with.

    Also, if you ever want to contact me, my e-mail info is on my profile page.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete